2.18.2003

It's been a long time since I've remembered any dreams, but last night I seemed to have dream after dream. I don't know if I just had more than usual or remembered them because Cole was quite restless from about 5 a.m. on. Two of the dreams were about my grandma (dad's mom) who died last May after a long struggle with cancer. I've dreamed about her once or twice since she died, and they've always been pleasant dreams, not "My grandma is haunting me" type dreams.

The one I really remember well took place in a house somewhere in Mankato (MN), my hometown and where my grandma lived for a few years before her death. Grandma didn't quite look like herself (her hair was different), but she seemed strong and healthy even though we all knew she was dying. I remember she had 40 different books - little planners with a different letter of the alphabet on each one (obviously some doubles since there are 40 letters). My grandma had each of us gathered there come to the couch with her one by one where she would give us a book. Mine had the letter D on it. Inside she had various events written down - birthdays, anniversaries, etc., some diary-like entrys and even a few packets of vegetable seeds (one was peas).

After my grandma and I talked for a while and I had that book, I remember looking out the window and seeing some tall manufacturing buildings that aren't in the skyline in real life. Suddenly a rusty old plane flew right into them, and after that I woke up.

Now, I'm not good at interpreting dreams, especially all of the small but significant details. So if anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

What was most significant to me about my grandma dream is that not once since she died have I felt anything other than peace with her passing. I felt it as soon as she died. She struggled and held on for so long and seemed to be in so much torment. I'm just so glad that I can look back and feel happiness that she's in a better place.

No comments: